High School Program
“Summer on the Hill taught me to overcome obstacles. In pursuing a career in medicine, I learned that only 1% of Latinos are in the medical profession. Knowing this, I realized that I would face many challenges. Nevertheless, I did not give up and my hard work paid off…I would like to thank SOH for helping me realize that whatever dreams I have, I can turn them into a reality..to be the first doctor in my family.” — SOH alumna at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine
SOH’s High School Program helps alumni of our Grade 3-8 Program make the transition to high school and apply to college.
Many SOH students are the first in their families to be headed for college and benefit from the ongoing encouragement of the HS Program Director and faculty.
SOH’s objectives are to:
- improve SOH students’ scores and provide strong support by holding SAT prep classes during the academic year,
- maintain a high college-going rate for our high school seniors (92%+),
- offer timely information to students and parents through financial aid and college admissions workshops, and by taking students on college tours,
- develop leadership skills of selected high school students in a summer internship program, and
- develop students’ knowledge of NYC’s culture and opportunities, and prepare them for interviews and public speaking.
“Thank you so much! Without SOH, I would not be half of what I am today. The program definitely gave me that extra push I needed to succeed!” — SOH alumna at Syracuse University.