The Core Program for Grades 3-8
“Dear SOH, Thank you for being kind to us and teaching us stuff we didn’t know yet!” — a 3rd grader in 2012-2013
The Grade 3-8 Program is the core of Summer on the Hill. A six-year commitment for students and parents, the program builds a strong foundation in language arts, math, and science. The year-round program consists of:
• a six-week summer program,
• an academic-year Saturday program, and
• individual guidance on middle and high school choices.
The Grade 3-8 program emphasizes academics throughout the year, with accelerated classes of 15-18 students taught by experienced teachers from independent, parochial, and public schools. During the summer, in addition to an intensive academic schedule of language arts, math, and science, students have instruction in swimming and tennis, and the visual and performing arts.
By the end of the 8th grade, SOH students will have:
• read and discussed complete works of literature, conducted experiments and written lab reports,
• learned the basics of algebra,
• participated in team and individual sports, and
• participated in musical theatre performances and learned the value of teamwork.
The NYS Department of Health Child/Adult Food Program and the NYC DOE Summer SchoolFood Program help SOH provide free meals to our students.